Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Time For a Vent

I am generally a pretty pleasant, easy-going person. But sometimes, there comes an hour where I just have to state some things to prevent a Becca explosion.

I can't stand salespeople. Sure, it's their job to sell things and they are only doing what someone who pays them told them to do. But still. Let me elaborate.

Now. I know it's bad tact to write about work in a blog. I know it could get me in trouble. Or even possibly fired. But when you don't even like your job that much and need a new one anyway, I say that rants about work are fair blog fodder.

At my place of employment, I am sometimes asked to do what we refer to as 'suggestive selling'. This can be described as employees 'suggesting' that a customer may want a little 'something' to go with their coffee, latte, iced grande whatever. Let me first make something clear. I hate suggestive selling. I HATE IT.

For starters, I don't like the fact that suggestive selling does not serve a genuinely heartfelt question. For example: 'Would you like a pumpkin scone to go with your coffee today?' You know in your heart that the guy you are asking does not want a scone. He never does. He drinks his coffee black and bland and bold. So really, do you think he is going to suddenly want a sugary, preservative-filled, empty calorie seasonal sensation? Of course not. And furthermore, did the customer not have ample amounts of time while in line to examine the pastries available and decide for his or her self if he/she truly wants something to eat? Cut the crap. If you ever hear suggestive selling coming out of my mouth, it's a sure bet that my boss is there too, holding a gun to the back of my head.

On to story two. Today, I was at the mall. By myself, but on a mission to get some clothes. Upon leaving Forever 21, I was basically attacked by a woman working at one of those damn kiosks you see throughout the mall. 'HELLO sweetie, COME sit down! Come now.' Sweetie? Do I know you? Sit down? Do I have a choice? I, taken off guard and not smart enough to get the H out of there immediately, scuffled over to the stool at her stand and took a seat. Only then did I even see what she was trying to sell. Hair straighteners. She then pulls out a straightener to do a demonstration. I happen to be wearing my hair wavy today. Little does she know, my hair is NATURALLY straight. I braid it to make it wavy. So 1. it's not like I lament the fact that I have waves in my hair and 2. I did not want her fugly straightener on my hair. She brings it near my hair and I am just like 'you are going to STRAIGHTEN it?' and she assures me 'I will fix it after!' So she straightens a section. Wow. Amazing. My hair is straight in that spot. Just like it naturally ALWAYS is.

She starts in on another section 'NO MORE.' I told her. She got kind of offended because she stopped being all suck up to me. She then put RINGLETS in the section she messed up. I would just like to state that RINGLETS are not the same as WAVES. SEE?


Ringlets


Waves

On the upside, I DID get some fantastic clothes.

Thank you for your time.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I, too, VEHEMENTLY LOATHE suggestive selling.

Therefore, I don't do it. I'm pretty sure I didn't do it right in front of Vee-Dub last week. Lookin' right at her. Whoops.

rachel rianne said...

NO WAY did she just straighten your hair without permission. what terrible world we live in!

karlie nicole cooper. said...

hhaha you're so cute, even when you're mad. we need to hang out soon. i am taking friday off of work...we could maybe do something!

Han said...

Hahaha, I KNOW that lady! I was in that mall last time I was in KC and I wanted to hit her with my Forever 21 bag. (I love that store...)

We have those people in our malls out here too, but they aren't NEARLY as horrid.

A pumpkin scone sounds so good right now...