Sunday, April 5, 2009

Regression?

I feel like a college student again.

Okay, I know, it's been less than 2 years since I was one. And I am often asked if I am old enough to drink alcohol legally. And I can even get the discount at the theater when showing my student ID for a movie. (Not that I have ever done that. Shhhh.)

But basically, let me back up. My point is this: although I have not been done with college life for very long, certain changes did take place between graduation and now.

-I moved home and lived with my parents. They allowed me to be there rent-free and gave me permission to eat their food. I got to eat their cooking. This meant a lot less cereal dinners and rationing of expensive things like produce.
-There were definitely nights where I was the first one in bed. No dance parties or shrieking roommates interfered with my sleep schedule. And I slept in my little corner bedroom, cozy and tucked away.
-Since my parents are hard-working individuals blessed with solid jobs, we did not have to make decisions like 'Everyone put on every jacket you own. We're turning off the heat to save on utilities this month.' Furthermore, the house was warmer in the first place because it did not have one inch gaps in the doorways or drafty windows.

It was sort of a plush life, living with them. And I don't regret being there for a minute. But since moving back to Colorado, there have been some changes once again.

-I sleep on a couch. For more than two weeks I have slept on this couch. And will continue to do so until Wednesday. I should also casually mention that this couch is in the living room of a house with an open floor plan in which four other people live.
-I buy groceries. And while buying said groceries, I either make tough decisions about which items to pass on to save money, or I drop those items in the cart anyway and walk in a cloak of guilt to the checkout stand.
-Starting Wednesday, I will start shelling money over to a landlord, never to see that money again.
-I stayed up until 130 am on Friday night (despite having to work at 645 on Saturday), and almost 300 am last night. I got up at 10 today, and was at church by 1045...complete with bed head.

Yes, something(s) have definitely changed. And I think I like it.

There will be days where I would definitely prefer to be back with the family under one roof. There will be weeks where I will probably wonder how I am going to pay for something. But having a job that asks a lot of patience and confidence from me (even when I have to fake it) is life-giving, in a roundabout way. And being near my best friend is surreal. And meeting new friends is such a gift. And having a social life is so...necessary!

I'm back in the saddle again. And I think I like it.


1 comment:

~LB said...

looks like gabers likes it
miss you