Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Why Did I Open my Usually Closed Mouth?

Now that I am more familiar with customers who frequent my Starbucks and I am becoming a little more confident at what I do, I have been trying to come out of my shell and make small conversations with them. The rest of the baristas can do it, so why not me too?

It is tough enough to try and appear confident and/or awake in the morning with people who may or may not be receptive to your efforts. But after two such attempts, I am reconsidering conversing all together.

The first conversation took place on Mother's Day.

Me: Hey, are you getting your Venti soy no water chai today?
Customer: Yes, I am. Great memory!
Me: Oh, I am slowly remembering people's drinks. I got lucky this time I guess.
Customer: Did you call your mom today?
Me: Well, I live with her. So I guess that's even better. But I haven't seen her yet.
Customer: Ah, I see.
Me: What about you? Did you call your mom?
Customer: No, she's in heaven. But that's ok. (and he walks away).

GAH! WHY???

The second conversation took place yesterday with another regular.

Customer: Hey, Rebecca (got to love being called by your full name when you never even go by it)
Me: Hey! How are you doing?
Customer: Oh, pretty good.
Me: Which size of latte do you want today?
Customer: Tall.
Me: Ok, we'll get that right out to you. (feeling the need to further our interaction since he did not walk away, I scraped for something to talk about) Did you have a nice day off yesterday? (Memorial Day)
Customer: Oh, they've given me a nice two week break now. (my face (and heart) crumbles) I worked for Sprint.
Me: Ohh...I'm really sorry.

And then, thankfully one of the other baristas jumped in to save me.

But seriously? Does this kind of thing happen to other people too, or am I just Captainess Awkward?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you met Cari Williams at the gathering?! You two would have fun swapping stories. All that to say: 1. these are classic! and 2. you're not alone.

Final thought: who decided the topics of "small talk" were safe topics? I mean, you were totally within the realm of normal small talk. Hmm.

hootenannie said...

Stick to the weather. You will never have any awkwardness. Until someone has been struck by lightning, or was just diagnosed with skin cancer.

Han said...

This happens to us all. The other day I was talking to a co-worker about the color orange and how its my LEAST favorite and I don't understand why people like it. Then she told me her car is bright orange. GREAT. I felt like a jerk...