Friday, April 18, 2008

Startlebucks

I like my job overall so far. For a job. But, I have some observations that I have made in my 5 weeks there, and I felt like all (three) of you who read this might like to be in on the juicy info. Ok, it's not juicy. But here we go.

It is really not that difficult to clean up after customers at Starbucks. It's not like they eat entire meals there, and it's not like I am above getting rid of the aftermath of their time with us there. But sometimes I am just a little baffled by customer behavior. Some will drop an entire half of a muffin on the ground...and just leave it there. And, some people will leave their paper, DISPOSABLE cups sitting on the tables with a trash can sitting literally 6 feet away from where they sat. It's no harder for me to walk that distance to throw it away than it would have been for the customer to do it, and I suppose I even get paid to do it. But I just wonder sometimes what that implies about the person who left it there.

Also. I understand the beauty behind being able to totally customize one's drink. But when you get into things like 'A grande mocha in a doubled up venti cup with 1 and 1/2 pumps of regular syrup, 1 pump of sugar free syrup, two sweet and lows, no foam, with light whip cream, half-caffeinated, and a couple ice cubes at the bottom, with non fat milk steamed to 165 degrees', you can't hardly fit all of that on the cup. How did that person ever manage to come up with such a conundrum? Would they truly notice if I put 2 whole pumps of mocha in as opposed to 1 and 1/2? Don't you feel like this implies something kind of lame about our society? And I work there. Oh my. Ps: I am sorry if you are one of those customers and you are reading this. I will continue to try and get very, very good at writing in miniscule font with a sharpie.

On a positive note, I am glad to report that I do not have to answer the phone with any sort of ridiculous motto that is entirely staged and fake. Such as, "Thank you for calling the Overland Park Pets Hotel where pet are family, this is Becca, how can I help you?"; a declaration so freaking moronic that customers LAUGH at you as you gasp for breath after sputtering out the last word. Additionally, I get to wear a polo that does not have sleeves which come down past my elbows. My store discount doubled. And, perhaps best of all, I do not have a creeper boss. YAY.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Toner, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://toner-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Sarah said...

I am hopefully going to Washington. Remember?

And Home is the song I have been listening to. Still am as a matter of fact.

Blake said...

I think the best part of this entry is the brazilian fellow who gave you a comment. His blog is pretty impressive. I think it may be in portuguese and as far as I know it's about printer ink.

lucky you.

bad diary days said...

im going to collect disposable cups, for about a month, then i am going to go into starbucks and dump them all on a table and walk out.
nick

Han said...

No creeper boss? Sad day.

bad diary days said...

it is now 10:45 AM and prodigal jon has already posted 3 blogs. excessive.
nick

Julie said...

becca!

i'm glad you made it up to broad today! sorry it turned into a group event? though i'm sure you're not upset about that! haha. anyway, it was good to hang, hope to do it soon. hope you liked toddddddy :)

and gabe is so great.

julie

Christina Ward said...

I have to confess (and apologize for) my regular Starbucks order: triple grande one pump peppermint non-fat latte. But I say it with a great deal of charm.

Michael Headrick said...

You are so funny. I love it.

&I totally agree with your observations on society... what kind of place do we live?

Liz said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. I have always wondered what Starbucks employees thought of us.