Friday, May 8, 2009

Maybe I Just Need More Sleep

I can't really put how exactly I am feeling into words.

But I feel like I am running a million miles an hour, need to stop and breathe, and can't do so.

Work is non-stop. There is always something new to learn. Something I have forgotten. Or something another employee has forgotten that I have to figure out and get settled. And I am there starting at 645 am, 6 days a week. One day off flies by in a heartbeat. One morning to sleep in (if I get to at all) is almost non-existent.

This morning was chaos. Phones ringing, appointments being made (remember to pull the charts, print off consent forms, and write in the chart to prep it for the appointment.) Clients arriving, animals needing to be checked in. For boarding. Grooming. Or to see the doctor. Sometimes they are being checked in for all of those things at once. Make phone calls to confirm appointments for tomorrow. Prep charts for the appointments coming in tomorrow. Answer more phones. Prepare a chart for two new clients. Check clients out when they are done. BABYSIT A ONE YEAR OLD. (yes, I am being honest). And make sure you're not stepping on anyone's toes. And make sure you can keep up with everyone else. And don't mess up. And ask questions if you get confused, but don't BOTHER them with questions. And this doctor has this policy, but the other doctor doesn't care. But make sure you never do this around this doctor. Oh, and don't be surprised if the other doctor just calls and cancels all afternoon appointments anyway.

I feel frazzled. It hasn't even been two months. And I have learned a lot, but it feels like there is still so much to learn.

And in the spare time I do have, there are houses to be seen for next year. Groceries to be bought. Friends who need a listening ear. A dog that needs to run and let off his excess energy. Sleep, in very small dosages. SHOWERS TO BE TAKEN OCCASIONALLY. Since when does showering feel like an overwhelming task???

I'm not wanting to be a complainer. I am blessed with so much. But the stress is creeping up on me. I feel incapable. Anxiety is high when I am constantly holding my breath at the office, waiting to discover the next mess that has to be dealt with. My trainers are my security blanket, and I feebly attempt to cling on to them at all times. Does anyone know where I can get some thicker skin? Mine's feeling pretty paper thin. When employees and clients alike are throwing a huge fit and blowing off tons of steam, I just wish they had more Jesus. I need more of Him too.

2 comments:

~LB said...

I like yourself often see showering being put on the bottom of my todo list. it's really not that important, especially when you work with animals, or troubled teens, we just start smelling like our work

Julianne said...

Becca minest, (minest is the word verification and it reminds me of dearest, so I thought I would use it), anyway, Becca minest, it does sound overwhelming. New jobs usually are--but just think, in 6 months, you'll be looking back thinking how easy everything feels. It will happen--it will just take time!

You're awesome, by the way.