Thursday, May 14, 2009

Good Morning, Sunshine

This day off is like that first gasp of air when you've been seeing how long you can hold your breath underwater and finally come back to the surface.

I'm so glad to be to today.

I was determined not to let anything come between me and sleeping in. And, as Murphy's Law would have it, today that was not the case. Gabe is usually awesome about staying asleep until I get up. But, he managed to break into his food bag yesterday (yes, AGAIN) while I was in the shower for a brief 15 minutes or so. Enough time to do some damage. Thankfully he didn't wake up periodically through the night, but by 5 am he was desperate to go guzzle some water. Maybe dog food is really high in sodium, I'm not sure. But every time he goes on a food binge (which I am coming to realize is WAY too frequently in his two years of life), he is desperate to consume water in huge quantities.

And so I found myself stumbling out of the bedroom in the dark, Gabe first hitting up the TOILET for refreshment. Because, you know, walking six feet to the bathroom is so much easier than the 15 feet to the kitchen and water bowl. 'It's a good thing you're so cute,' I always tell him, 'because otherwise you'd be back on the streets.'

I managed to fall back asleep until about 7:45, when our wonderful neighbor decided to start up his motorcycle. Simple, right? Apparently not. Why start it up once when you could start it up 13 times or so? Why let it sit there idling when you could rev the engine for maximum noise? And why wait until the sun is really up and shining when you could get to it before 8 am?

In his defense, I guess I should acknowledge that it's still a workday for most of the world. And, if truth be told, 7:45 is still more than two hours later than I usually wake up. But, while we're on the topic of truth, you should probably know that I flipped him off in my mind. (Hi, Mom and Dad!)

So what does the rest of the day hold? By now I should probably know better than to make plans. Because obviously things don't always go like I imagine them to. But I can say with confidence that I will spend some time with the bestie before she heads off to Europe for a very long month, and I will be seeing this guy play a show tonight with the company of some Greeley friends.

PS: Kansas City in two weeks. I'm so ready.

4 comments:

~LB said...

KC?? YEAH!

rachel rianne said...

TRACE BUNDY.
ugh.

...
i'll let you know about colorado,
because it's going to happen.

... if i keep saying it,
it's GOING TO HAPPEN.

I am Bethany. said...

we are so ready for you.
come play, dear.

Tory said...

i love Greebs!!!! and your photos. please take more photos.

dhasjkdhkjs i seriously can't wait to see you!