Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Speaking of backbone...



If you think of it, say a little prayer for Kodi this week. Yesterday while she was outside, something triggered a horrible episode of back pain for her and she was either paralyzed or in too much pain to put weight on her back two feet for a while. She was crying and dragging her back legs behind her but let me get close enough to touch her and talk to her. I of course had a meltdown while I tried to figure out what was wrong and realized there was nothing I could do to help her.

Thankfully, she was able to finally walk to the car and I got her to the vet. Her x-rays show some noticeable abnormalities in her back that indicate a degenerative condition she is now on medication for. What we don't know yet is if the medication will be enough for her to live happily or if something like surgery would be required (or even if that would help). I know not everyone may see the value a dog can hold in someone's family but she is definitely part of ours. It's really hard to watch her struggle to walk and we have to force her to stay by herself in the basement so she has as little activity as possible. What is very endearing is to see how sweet and happy she is even in her condition. She's the dog who never stops wagging her tail.

The best case scenario is that the medicine Kodi is taking will be enough to get her walking well and allow her to increase her activity level again. She is only 6, so I really would hope that she has many happy years ahead of her. We're taking her back to the vet in a few days and hopefully will have a better idea of what is to come after that.

6 comments:

Annie said...

I will definitely say a prayer for Kodi. She is such a cute pup, and I completely understand how a dog can be so important in a family.

I hope the medicine completely heals her!

hootenannie said...

Poor Toad. I'm so sad.

rachel rianne said...

kodi!!

:(


i'll be praying.
let me know how she is.

Anonymous said...

Some semi-good news at the vet today. He says she is much better, and that he is hopeful that medication will keep her comfortable for months or even years. She has the body of a 6 year old dog and the spine of a 12 year old dog. We'll keep her around as long as we can!
MOM

hootenannie said...

TOAD'S ON THE MEND!

Anonymous said...

I know that many will never understand, but those of us who have given much of our adult life to caring for dogs live and die with our dogs. And this one, this silly, funny, happy dog has greeted me every day for almost 7 years as if I am completely, utterly, forever, unconditionally loved. And I gladly return the blessing. She is doing well tonight, and she wags her tail with special vigor. Even if this only means we get to keep her for an extra year, or two, or three, I give thanks to God and I promise to love her as if today is her last.

Love, Dad