Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Kindred soul cracked spirit

Her: When you're calling out drinks, try to put a little more pizazz into it.
Me: Ok.

What she was thinking: The District Manager is here and I am going to do whatever it takes to really wow her.
What I was thinking: You have no idea what's going on with me. I suppose that's my problem because I haven't told you. But I don't plan on telling you. And I know that I am not exactly a Disney Princess when I call out drink orders, but maybe I don't have to be when the customer is standing inches away from the spot they pick their drink up at. I'm still nice to them. I make eye contact and smile and thank them. And I don't really care to kiss up to her because she clearly already has her favorites. I'm not a competitor for her attention.


It wasn't a bad shift. It was actually decent. But I'll still be glad for the day when I can leave that nonsense behind. And maybe I am totally flawed in my way of thinking about work. But there is something really frustrating about being asked to act fake towards others. If I was standing on the other side of the counter, I'm pretty sure I would prefer to be interacted with on a person-to-person level, not an exhibition-to-person level.

It makes sense that sometimes we have to power through the day and put on a little bit of a face when we are in public while there is a lot more going on beneath the surface. But I guess even on the best of days, I am still not a fan of cheesy fakeness.

Tory asked me this morning, 'Why are dogs so amazing?' I didn't know how to answer exactly. It's hard to summarize exactly why they mean so much to some of us. But maybe one reason I love dogs so much is because I can be myself around them always. And, ironically, I don't have to be told to be animated with them - it comes naturally because of how wonderful they are :)

A dog can express more with his tail in seconds than his owner can express with his tongue in hours. ~Author Unknown

I guess that means Gabe should be the barista, not me.

6 comments:

~LB said...

Bad idea for two reason.
A I would hate to get doggie drool in my iced chia tea latte little ice even if the drool was from a super cool dog like Gabe
and
2. I think he would eat the apron

love you/miss you

I am Bethany. said...

Dear God,
Please send Becca less coffee and more puppies.
Love, Bethany.

Dear Becca,
Let's get together. yeah yeah yeah. I've got some cool stuff to give ya.
Love, Bethany

Tory said...

http://sleepitune.livejournal.com/91000.html#cutid1


!!!

Anonymous said...

First, before I even read your post, I want to say "Thanks Becca for reading my blog"! It's funny, I started the blog over a year ago at the request of my friend Mark, but I only did it for a few months and gave up. I don't know why I've kept it... nobody even reads it, but I think at some point I'd like to return to it.

I'm glad you read it and it impacted you, even just the slightest bit. It makes me feel good! Haha. :)

Anonymous said...

And, now that I've read it... I totally feel the same way.

I work at a book store called Chapters (similar to Borders/Barnes&Noble or whatever you have closest to you in the States) and we also have a Starbucks in our store... And I get a lot of the coffee customers as well. From time to time my bosses tell me to be more friendly while force promotions down people's throats and it makes me sick. I'm a very honest person and if I'm having a crummy day, or say I have a headache I am not going to overflow with joy or force sales on people... This is the life of retail, I guess. Although, I like to think we're better than retail because honestly, what's better than a hot coffee/tea and a good book?

You're not alone, Annie. You have Gabe, which is awesome. I can't wait 'til I can afford to move out and get a dog of my own! :)

margomay said...

your dog is the cutest thing.....and he is totally in love with you!!!