Monday, November 24, 2008

Hairy Christmas

It took me eight months to get a haircut. That is most certainly an outright violation of the laws of any salon or hair stylist. But I am proud that I waited that long. Because I saved money. And gained some length on my strands.

Some people have asked me how I pulled that off without my hair being completely ruined. Simple: wear it in a french braid ALMOST every day. I know what you might be thinking - a french braid is often a favorite of 4-Her's and homeschoolers. Well, let's just say that I may have been both of those things back in the day. But aside from that, it has been a lifesaver lately! A french braid has been the hairstyle that enables me to shower at night, sleep on it, and get up between 4 and 6 am for work without having to style it again. Another plus? The day after that, you can take the braid out and then wear it wavy. Thus saving on shampoo use as well as doing damaging styling to your hair.

I think my new haircut is a good one finally! The reasons that I like this haircut are: 1. she didn't take off all that much length 2. I can wear it down if I choose to 3. it has lots of new layers. And now I am thinking about dying it for the first time in my life...

I would like to take a moment just to mention that I feel a little bit trivial talking about hair so much. But while I am on the topic, I bought a Furminator for Mr. Gabe and The Others too. For as much as those things cost, it had better work well! And it seems to. My biggest complaint is that you have to stop and pull the hair off after about two strokes of the coat. Oh, and Gabe REALLY wants to eat both the hair and the brush. Every time.

Lastly. A lot of you have probably seen this. I want to know your thoughts on it though. And what would the best response to it as Christmas approaches.

5 comments:

Tory said...

i think that video is pretty cool! my only argument would be that gifts don't equal memories or meaning etc. because some of my favorite memories are with my family at christmas, opening presents together! it's something i've always, always really looked forward to. that being said, i don't look forward to gifts from just anyone. the reason it's meaningful is because they're from/given to people i truly care about, ya know?

but aside from that...the idea of buying gifts just to buy gifts when your money could be spend on something truly useful is a good point. i just don't like how it tries to guilt trip you. it's sorta judgmental to say that expensive gifts are a waste of money :/

what about you...facebec??? what are YOU going to spend your money on this year?

bec said...

tory - yes, i see your point. sometimes the best part about gifts is giving the perfect gift to someone you love. it's so fun to watch them open a package that they are shocked/excited about! and of course the whole event of christmas is a special time to really cherish your family and blessing one another with gifts.

however, i don't think this campaign's goal is to be judgmental. their biggest suggestions are 1. to possibly give a gift of time or service to someone you love, since those can at times be more meaningful than just throwing a giftcard together for someone and 2. buy one less gift and put that money towards blessing someone who may not even be able to survive let alone get a single gift at all.

and obviously not all americans are as extravagant and consumeristic as others. it's not like this would look the same for every single person or family in this country. i just like the perspective it gives to people like me who may not be the wealthiest of people but still has so much more than most of the world.

my family is sort of debating whether or not we should maybe try to take part in something like this for christmas. my thought was that if everyone bought just one less gift for a family member this year, we could pool all that money and send it to a cause that could put it to good use. i don't know, it would just be cool to help out somehow while still getting to celebrate the yewj way! :)

~LB said...

I liked the video, I like gifts too. hmm tough spot. Can I see the new hair cut? I think your hair always looks pretty.

Anonymous said...

(Hi, I'm Megan! I'm 25 and live in CO. I stumbled upon your blog and was compelled to comment. Just want to throw out that PSA before spewing my opinion all over your blog!)

I loved this video! I hate consumerism! And its not because I dont love shopping, its just that in our society we can tend to be SO wasteful. Buying buying buying more and more STUFF.

My husband and I, as well as his family and my family, have decided to forgo Christmas presents this year. The factors that played into the decision were: recent and upcoming major life events, the economy, traveling costs to be together, consumerism, etc.

So all 14 of us, from 17 years old to 55 years old, unanimously decided to focus our holiday attentions and expectations elsewhere. At least for my husband and I we will instead look for various ways to give where there is a need (this video was a great idea of one way we may).

No doubt, all of us could afford it to go out and buy gifts for each and every family member. Our families are comprised of a police officer, employee of a fortune 500 company, NASA engineer, business owner, teacher, government grant writer.... I mention that just to make this point: Our gift hiatus is not primarily motivated out of not having the budget or being stretched too thin (although that too is a good and valid reason) - - its because Christmas tends to lose much meaning in the pressure from society and ourselves to buy buy buy buy buy. We just wanted a year off (maybe more!) to have a holiday season truly about giving, living, loving - and most of all, contentment.

Anyway, thanks for sharing! This video is SO going on my FB page.

bec said...

laura - thank you! i will put up pictures sometime. it's not all THAT different looking since i didn't take a lot of length off but it's way more layered.

megan - aw, i am so excited to have someone stumble on my blog and then comment! made my day.

that is such a cool thing that you and your family are trying out. i would love to hear how it goes and what you guys decide to do with your time or money! it's pretty impressive that all of you unanimously made the decision. i respect that a lot.

bless you during the upcoming holidays :)