Friday, June 13, 2008

Good Riddance

I would just like to say that the process of buying and selling cars is ridic. I am happy and thankful to say that most of this process is now over in my life for the time being, but this is what it consisted of.

Part One: The buy

-Search cars.com for Subaru Foresters in this area.
-Give up.
-Search again.
-Give up.
-Search some more and finally find one worthwhile that is nearby.
-Use a small window of time to drive to Lawrence when Dad is available to test drive it.
-Go home to think.
-Call the dealership to put a hold on the car on the way home because I am too worried it will be sold before I can make an offer.
-Set up an appointment with a mechanic.
-Psych myself up for dealing with a used car salesman.
-Get a ride with Sarah back to Lawrence.
-Deal with the used car salesman.
-Make an offer.
-Buy the car.
-Fill out paperwork.
-Pay them money. A lot of money.
-Drive it home.
-Put in an air freshener. Pronto.

Part two: The sell
-Post my truck on Craigslist.
-Post my truck on Facebook marketplace.
-Post my truck on Cars.com.
-Put signs in the windows.
-Wash the truck inside and out.
-Follow up on every lead I get.
-Lend the car to a coworker who needs an extra car while I am trying to sell it.
-Maneuver ways to get the truck back when there is a potential test drive.
-Get mad when the test drive falls through.
-Lower the price.
-Follow up on more leads.
-Find a buyer
-Buyer does not have full amount in cash, but comes to see it from four hours away on a Sunday, therefore not having access to a bank or the desire to make a separate trip.
-Work out a deal with the buyer that allows me to hold on to the title until his check clears.
-Sell them the truck.
-Wait for the check to clear.
-Send the title in the mail.
-Email the new owner to let him know.

Part three: The extras
-Stress about getting all the right paperwork together.
-Take the Forester's title to be inspected since it is from out of state.
-Feel inadequate as a 20-something girl when it comes to these things.
-Pay them ten dollars and roll merrily on my way.
-Stress again about getting all the right paperwork together.
-Take the Forester to be registered.
-Pay them a bunch more money and then roll merrily on my way again.
-Still feel inadequate as a 20-something girl when it comes to these things.
-Wait 4-6 weeks for the new title to arrive.
-Put the new plate on my car.

***All while paying 4 dollars a gallon for gas.***

I don't want to do this again any time soon. And hopefully I won't have to.

Hey, Sigur Ros? Was. A.Ma.Zing.

Gabe ate a roll of Scotch Tape this morning. He's not as amazing as his video after all, I guess.

2 comments:

~LB said...

Ok so first, new car= excitement
sig ros=more excitement
i updated=most excitement (thats probably a lie)
i miss you and iwish I could have seen more of you and the rest of the group at the wedding, I am a bad hostest
loves

rachel rianne said...

hahaha scotch tape.
oh gabriel.


don't worry.
i read all the rest of your post too.
and it makes me never want to buy a car, ever.