Friday, July 25, 2008

Rotten Apple

Well, July has certainly not been the most lucrative blog month for me. Lately, that has been due to the fact that my computer suddenly CRASHED on Friday night. As in, wouldn't even turn on any more. Rotten. Like this.

I took it in to the Apple store on Sunday between work and church. And how inconvenient that the location nearest my house was completely booked - I got to drive 30 minutes-ish to get an appointment. But anyway, the guy who helped me let me know that the logic board was pretty much done for. Whatever that means. I knew it wasn't good though. It required a send off of my Macbook, and the signing of a waiver acknowledging that I may receive my computer back (within seven days, at least) that would contain nothing reminiscent to anything previously on it. Simply put, there was a risk that I would lose everything on my computer. And there was no backing up the information either, seeing as I could not even get the thing to turn on. As I gave my permission for Apple to take my computer and do some serious surgery on it, I felt like 'that person', struck with the cliche of 'Man, this is so silly how much we rely on technology. Sooner or later it's just going to FAIL us! What has this world come to?' (Simultaneously kicking myself in the ass for not backing up things more frequently.)

Anyway. A FedEx man showed up with my computer yesterday morning, and I eagerly opened the box. Pressed the power button, and it turned on like old times. But then I was asked to register it and fill out all these information boxes. Kind of like...when you get a brand. new. computer. My heart kind of sank as I realized that not only had the logic board been replaced, but the hard drive as well. Every picture, every song, every document, every setting on my Macbook - gone. Along with a piece of my heart!

It was as if the person who fixed my computer somehow knew of my loss, however, and they threw in a few 'bonuses' for me. For instance, I now have the Leopard Operating system, which I did not have before. And, the small crack in the plastic body of the computer is no longer there, meaning they gave my Mac a cosmetic face lift as well. I'm not sure I was supposed to receive either of those things for free, but I will take it.

That being said, I am now shopping around for external hard drives, and I recommend that you all get one as well. That is my word of wisdom for everyone I have ever known.

8 comments:

hootenannie said...

This is so tragic, and I'm so sorry. BOO. I'll bring you some good music next weekend - it won't be that crazy punk teenager stuff that you listen to, but it will be a start.

Laura said...

Awww! All your pictures? Pooy. Sorry!

thomas park said...

More than likely, they did give you a BRAND NEWWWW PUTER. Also, if you want any help building a external, holler. Its cheaper that way.

Christina Ward said...

RIP to Becca's Former Data.

As a recipient of the Apple Wipe Out on several occasions, I am now the proud of owner of a La Cie external hard-drive - it came highly recommended by one of the "Geniuses" at the Mac Store. Do you have Leaopard with Time Machine on it? It's amazing, automatically syncs all your stuff into the hard drive.

So, wait, does this mean all those funny, weird pictures you saved are gone? Nooooooo!

Liz said...

i enjoy tremendously reading your posts. bah sour apples.

love.

rachel rianne said...

they switched my keyboard when i sent mine in. for some reason, i overworked my 'd' and 'n' keys, bc they were faded when i had it first and then they were there when i got it back. it sucks to have to send it in, but i guess they make things a little easier on you.

if you want to have a photo session and reenact all of your past pictures... let me know. i'll help.

Han said...

Ugh... that makes me sad just thinking about it...

Anonymous said...

The same thing happened to me!! After only 2 years! Except we don't have an actual Apple store - so the Alaska Mac store backed up all the information on mine. And I ended up buying a new computer because I didn't have the service agreement.